from the desk of the publisher

Running Hot & Cold – New Year’s in So Cal

New Year’s Eve at the Goldsworthy home found us enjoying dinner around 8 o’clock – too late by some standards but for New Year’s Eve I thought it was just fine – then bundling up for some television when the boys decided to head out to join friends to close out 2014. And bundling up was necessary because it was cold.

Robin Goldsworthy is the publisher of the Crescenta  Valley Weekly. She can be  reached at  or (818) 248-2740.
Robin Goldsworthy is the publisher of the Crescenta
Valley Weekly. She can be
reached at
or (818) 248-2740.

I knew some folks who had planned on spending the night along Colorado Boulevard to usher in the New Year and the Rose Parade but, as temperatures continued to drop, they thought better of it. After checking out the floats lined up along Orange Grove they headed home to catch some shut-eye under warm bed covers.

I woke up too late on Thursday morning to see the B-2 stealth bomber make its way across our valley on its journey to Colorado Boulevard. Too bad because that is one awesome sight.

Mid-morning Steve and I joined Mike and Nancy Leum on a trip up Angeles Crest to enjoy a late breakfast/early lunch at Newcomb’s Ranch Restaurant and Bar. If Mike’s name is familiar, don’t be surprised; he has been written about often in this paper, most often due to his involvement with the Montrose Search and Rescue Team, of which Steve is also a part.

Newcomb’s Ranch has a rich history that dates back to the late 1800s when a man named Louie Newcomb built a cabin about a quarter mile from today’s restaurant. During the years that he lived in the mountains, he built cabins (many of which are still used today) and was even one of the first forest rangers. According to its website, “Newcomb’s Ranch Inn was built in 1939; the Ranch has changed many times over the last several decades, serving as a restaurant, hotel, general store and gas station. Much of the original two-story structure was destroyed from a fire in 1976. The building was rebuilt and opened as a restaurant for many years by Lynn Newcomb Jr. Today, Newcomb’s Ranch is owned by Frederick H. Rundall, a lover of nature with a passion for the mountains.”

I had never been to Newcomb’s Ranch but was assured by the guys that the food was incredible. Making our way up the ’Crest, Steve and Mike swapped stories about an accident here or a car over the side there while Nancy and I talked kids or looked out the window at the beautiful views. The higher we climbed, the colder it got as snow began to dot the side of the highway. By the time we arrived at Newcomb’s – about 28 miles up the ’Crest – there were little piles of snow in the parking lot.

Despite it’s being New Year’s Day and the cold temperatures, the parking lot was full of cars. We had seen more than a dozen Porsches heading down the highway as we made our way up and at Newcomb’s the parking lot was full of Mustangs; apparently some type of Mustang trek.

Mike was greeted by name once we got inside and, true to his word, the food was delicious. Nancy and I split a burger.

And within a week those warm temperatures had returned to the southland, though perhaps not welcomed by all.

As for Newcomb’s Ranch, I plan on returning – and ordering a whole burger for myself.