By Odalis A. Suarez
- “It’s going to be a lot of rock meets military meets femininity,” stated Michelle Fishback, who is a women’s buyer for Billy’s Board Shop in Montrose.
- For pants Fishback believes that skinny jeans, jeggings (a combination of jeans and leggings), and leggings will still be trendy for the school year.
- “Lace is the new thing that’s coming out,” said Fishback, “More lace and leather.”
- The newest sweater that may reach popularity is a hoodie with headphones attached to the strings. With a MP3 connector located in one of the pockets, the sweater allows for a unique way to listen to music. The sweater is completely machine washable.
- Layering will still be a plus especially when fall begins during the school year.
- Fishback has noticed that the popular eighties fashion, although still present, will be slowly diminishing. “For fall [it will be] more subdued,” explained Fishback, which will include more classic fall colors for clothes.
- For shoes, Toms Shoes has been an extremely popular product for girl’s fashion, “It’s tuff to keep them in stock,” stated Fishback. Uggs are also expected to stay in style during the school season; however, Fishback explains that they are planning on bringing leather boots into their line.
- What is definitely out this season are any baggy silhouette jeans.
– Make-up/Skin Care
- Karolin Sahakian, who owns Eye Candy in Montrose, introduced the newest trend by Colorescience entitled Sunforgettable Mineral Powder. The brush and powder are joined by one tube where the powder gradually comes out during use. It is a mineral powder that contains 30 and 50 SPF protection. Although predominately used for sun protection, the powder does have a slight tint which can be used to make minor cover ups. “It’s a mineral make-up and a new way to put sun screen on,” stated Sahakian.
- For the latest eye shadow colors, Smashbox, the company that Eye Candy will be using at their store, has a line of masquerade colors, which include greens and pinks. “I know that metallic and blue are in for the fall,” stated Eye Candy worker Jhasmen.
- Eyelash treatments that are used to thicken eyelashes are said to be in style.
- The Clarisonic electronic brush is an ideal way to clean your face of blackheads and acne.
- Sahakian also believes that eyebrow threading is becoming a popular way to shape and remove eyebrow hair.
– “Slimmer silhouette as far as jeans and pants go,” stated Fishback, “Krew Jeans [is] by far the best selling.”
– In regards to shirts for guys, “We expect the flannel to do well this year,” explained Fishback. Just like the girls fashion, layering will still be fashionable for guys this season as well.
– Vans shoes are still a popular trend.
– For backpacks, Jansport are still the most popular. For skater boys, the Element backpacks are essential to not only hold schoolbooks but the skateboard as well.
– For sunglass wearers, “[The] Raybands [are] hands down number one,” said Fishback. Other hot trends include the pilot sunglasses as well.
- According to the Gap Kids website, plaid and flannel shirts are still in season.
- Boys can also look for colorful polo shirts as well as polo shirts with long sleeves underneath with the temperatures cool down.
- To brighten up your wardrobe, young boys can look for graphic t-shirts. This can show your expressive side.
- The Gap Kids website also shows an array of zip-up hoodies, which seems to dominate the traditional sweatshirt.
- In addition to the infamous skinny jean, boys have a variety of jean styles this season including straight and loose jeans with different wash designs.
- For tops, Gap Kids shows an array of loose-silhouetted tops. Other shirts include long sleeved t-shirts, tank tops, and polo shirts.
- Similar to the boy’s fashion, graphic t-shirts with cute sayings and pictures are still a hot commodity for young girls. Gap kids has a section entitled Junk food T’s which include notable characters such as Hello Kitty, Alice in Wonderland, and Minnie Mouse. The same form of t-shirt can also be seen for boys as well with pictures of Batman and Star Wars characters.
- Girls can also look for button down sweaters.
- Contrary to the boy’s fashion, girl’s jeans this season is highly focused on the skinny jean. Various forms of the skinny jean include skinny and super skinny. Girls can also choose the straight leg or the bootcut. There is also the classic style jean. Gap Kids has a number of colored pants, which will make a great asset to any outfit.
- Leggings with designs on them.