The final meeting of the 2016-17 year for Las Candelas was held in the Garden Room at Oakmont Country Club on May 25 with President Ellyn Semler presiding. After all year-end financial and project reports were presented, Las Candelas member Cathy Keen performed the installation of next year’s officers. When the group reconvenes in September, it will be led by La Crescenta resident Nancy Stone. Other officers installed were 1st Vice President Joan Campbell, 2nd Vice Presidents Rosina Maize and Karen Swan, 3rd Vice Presidents Lynne Naeve and Ann Jones, 4th Vice Presidents Monica Sierra and Patricia Aleman; 5th Vice Presidents Jeri Benton Clark and Margaret Cline and 6th Vice Presidents JC Byer and Pattie McCormick. Also serving on next year’s board are Corresponding Secretary Diane Russell, Treasurer Ginny Simpson, Philanthropy Treasurer Patti Baker and Parliamentarian Ellyn Semler.
A highlight of the day was welcoming new provisional member Suzonne Slaughter of Glendale. Slaughter is a financial advisor and serves as vice president of External Affairs of the YWCA of Glendale. She is a former recipient of the Jewel of Glendale Award presented by the Glendale Commission for the Status of Women and a past president of the USC Verdugo Hills Hospital Women’s Council.
After the meeting’s adjournment, a brief reception was held to thank outgoing president Ellyn Semler for serving as president of Las Candelas from 2015-17 and to congratulate incoming President Nancy Stone. Stone’s theme for next year is “Every day is a gift.” A luncheon followed in the Garden Room.
Las Candelas is a Glendale-based organization consisting of 40 active members. Its purpose is to give volunteer service and financial assistance to help improve the lives of children and youth in vulnerable situations and to support awareness of their mental health needs. The ladies provide programs for the children at Hillsides in Pasadena and Hathaway-Sycamores in Altadena. Other philanthropies served by Las Candelas are Ascencia, YWCA of Glendale and Didi Hirsch. The group was organized in 1953 and incorporated in 1955.
Submitted by Cathy KEEN