»Montrose Verdugo-City Chamber of Commerce

Melinda Clarke is the executive director of the Montrose-Verdugo City Chamber of Commerce located at 3516 N. Verdugo Road in Glendale. She can be reached at   (818) 249-7171. Visit the website www.montrosechamber.org.
Melinda Clarke is the executive director of the Montrose-Verdugo City Chamber of Commerce located at 3516 N. Verdugo Road in Glendale. She can be reached at (818) 249-7171. Visit the website www.montrosechamber.org.

Free Small Business Counseling, City Sign Ordinance Now in Effect

“The City of Glendale’s Economic Development Division is working hard to help grow Glendale’s small businesses that are vital to the success of this community. A strong relationship has been developed with the Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Center to offer Glendale businesses various training and counseling services,” according to Jacqueline Bartlow, Sr. Economic Dev. Analyst Community Development Department for the City of Glendale.

Pacific Coast Regional (PCR), a regional Small Business Development Center, will provide free one-on-one counseling to businesses and prospective entrepreneurs in Glendale. PCR’s Small Business Consultant’s Program is staffed by a team of experienced business executives in Southern California who are specialists in the fields of budgeting, permits/licensing, business planning, financing, marketing and procurement. They can assist small business owners with various subjects, including financial management techniques, organizing a business plan, setting up a marketing system, cash flow analysis/projections, business forecasting, initial business concepts, effective leadership skills, record-keeping/accounting and website management.

Individual counseling sessions are ongoing and appointments are available on Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays during the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Robert Hall Associates, 300 West Glenoaks Blvd., 3rd Floor. To make an appointment, call (866) 301-9989.

As many of you know, the city of Glendale has updated and changed their sign ordinance laws. The new Glendale Sign Ordinance is now in effect and the following is a summary of the new rules:

Signs in the public right-of-way: Pedestrian signs placed in the public right-of-way would be subject to the following new regulations:

• Subject to an annual city permit administered by the Public Works Department;

• A fee of $100 plus the zoning and technology surcharges;

• Allowed on public right-of-way only within commercial areas with a recognized merchant’s association, in a business improvement district (BID), in the Downtown Specific Plan (DSP) zone or in the Commercial Retail (CR) zone;

• Signs may only be a four foot tall, 30-inch wide, A-frame style;

• Only one sign is allowed per ground floor business, placed directly in front of the business;

• The sign and location must be approved by the director of Public Works prior to installation;

• The face may be changed periodically without requiring a new permit;

• The face may be a chalkboard but not a dry-erase board;

• The frame must be powder-coated metal, aluminum or outdoor-grade wood to ensure a durable and quality appearance;

• Plastic frames are prohibited;

• Signs may only be displayed during the hours of operation of the business;

• Signs are prohibited if the business is separated from the sidewalk by a parking area;

• Signs may not be within a roadway, on a median, or closer than 18 inches to the back of the curb;

• Signs may not be attached to anything in the right-of-way;

• Signs must not block pedestrian or vehicular traffic or create any hazard;

• A continuous pedestrian path of at least four feet in width must be maintained;

• Applicants must provide a site plan and photographs demonstrating that the sign location will not block the sidewalk, obstruct a wheelchair ramp, or create any visibility hazards for pedestrians or traffic, or be attached to anything;

• Applicants must provide proof of $1 million in liability insurance at time of application, which is the same as for sidewalk dining;

• Signs may be immediately removed by the city to allow for sidewalk maintenance, including cleaning, or if the city determines a safety hazard requires immediate action.

Signs on private property: Pedestrian signs on private property will be subject to virtually the same standards as for signs in the right-of-way.

Permits for these signs can be obtained from city’s Public Works Engineering Office, 633 E. Broadway, Suite 205. For questions, contact Jeff Hamilton at (818) 937-8157 or jhamilton@ci.glendale.ca.us.