Veterans Corner

Obtaining Service Record Info

By Andy GERO

Veterans or family members who wish to obtain a copy of a service record, Form DD 214 (Report of Separation), for whatever reason may do so by email or by US mail.      Visit This site will guide you through the process, which will take a few minutes to complete.

To locate records if the veteran is deceased or ill may require more time unless you have personal information from the veteran.  The following service information is required to locate records:

• The veteran’s complete name used while in the service.

• Service number.

• Social Security number.

• Branch of service.

• Dates of service.

• Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known)

If you suspect the records were involved in the 1973 fire, also include:

• Place of discharge

• Last unit of assignment

• Place of entry into the service, if known

All requests must be signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin.

If you are next-of-kin of a deceased, you must provide proof of death such as a death certificate, letter from a funeral home or published obituary.

For more information, contact Andy Gero at or call (818) 541-1336.

Veterans and family are welcome to attend the American Legion Post 288 or VFW Post 1614 monthly meetings at 4011 La Crescenta Ave. in La Crescenta.  The American Legion meetings are held on the first Wednesday of each month at 7:30 p.m.  The VFW meetings are held on the third Wednesday of each month at 6:30 p.m.       Membership is not required.

Andy Gero is a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 1614 and the American Legion Post 288 in La Crescenta. He can be reached at Veterans Corner by mail at 4011 La Crescenta Ave., La Crescenta, CA 91214; by email or phone (818) 541-1336.