Greetings from CVDAPC!
As our fiscal year ends, let’s take a look back. Here’s a quick list of things we’ve accomplished – largely with your help and support. I’m going to give you a preview of what’s to come in our Year 4 that begins on Oct. 1.
• Welcomed Brian Landisi and Harry Leon to the board
• Community & Family Forum on 40 Developmental Assets, featuring Clay Roberts (256 attended)
• Trained 60 people to bring assets to local groups
• Presented Assets at five of seven elementary school PTAs; partnered with Glendale PTA Council extensively
• Parent Education Workshops at the YMCA (2012 – 13 school year stats: 296 participants; 82 families, average participation 13; funded by grant from Supervisor Antonovich)
• Lunchtime (anti) Drug Club at Rosemont (35 students attend five of six sessions)
• GPD Officer Joe Allen (Elks’ Narcotic Officer of the Year) spoke at Fremont Elementary for Red Ribbon Week
• April Rx Drug Take Backs (350 lbs. of unwanted medicine collected)
• 4 Strategic Partners meetings (average: 66 per meeting)
• Hired company to rebrand, create new website, and get a new DBA
• Community Outreach: Hometown Country Fair Sponsor, Foothill Business Expo, VHH Health Expo, Howdy Day, Tri-Chamber Legislative Committee, CV Town Council
• 501(c)(3) designation
• CV Youth Alliance formed
• Formed partnerships with CV Town Council, City of La Cañada to put up alcohol warning signs
• GUSD committees: Healthy Start Collaborative, Safe & Drug Free Schools
New name, new board members, new officers, new website
USC VHH Community Health Fair on Sept. 28 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Armenian Korean Cultural Festival on Oct. 13 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Crescenta Valley High School
ID checks at Oktoberfest on Oct. 5 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Rx Drug Take Back on Oct. 26 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Community forums headed by Mary O’Keefe and Cheryl Davis
Speakers Bureau established – invite us to speak to your group!
Red Ribbon Week with Council PTA
Board meetings open for public comment. The next one is on Oct. 21 at 6:30 p.m. at First Baptist Church, 4441 La Crescenta Ave. in La Crescenta.
CA Healthy Kids Survey with GUSD
4 Strategic Partners meetings: first Fridays in December, March, June and September from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. at USC VHH.
Adventures in Parenting @ the Y, Tuesdays from 7:15 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.; sponsored by First Baptist Church LC
Advocacy: Putting up alcohol signs, National Medicine Abuse Month in October
More inroads in building community collaborations to prevent, and reduce, youth substance use
Many thanks to my board, all of our partners and supporters, Julia Rabago, and to Robin Goldsworthy!
Suzy Jacobs is the executive director of the Crescenta Valley Drug & Alcohol Prevention Coalition. You can reach her at email@example.com.