1. Help! Our social media skills are lacking. We need volunteers to get us on track. Can you #? Do you Instagram? We don’t tweet, but if you helped us, our information could be re-tweeted. For those of you like me, please like us on Facebook.
2. Keep your home safe for your kids and ours. Don’t be the party house. It’s not cool and it violates the Teen Alcohol Safety Act of 2010.
3. Tina Givrad, PhD, is coming back to talk about “How the Teenage Brain Learns” on Thursday, Sept. 11 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the CVHS Library (2900 Community Ave., La Crescenta). When she spoke to us about how the teenage brain is hardwired, many of you asked her about the impact drugs and alcohol have on the developing brain. She’ll tell you.
4. Update on Parent Sessions: We’re in discussion to bring them back in late-September/early October on Tuesday nights from 7:15 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Y.
5. If you visited our website you saw the survey that showed that up to 50% of teens talking on the phone while driving are talking to a parent. I get that you’re freaked when your baby’s behind the wheel, but please don’t call or text them.
6. Your kids are going to go to parties. After you get all the salient information you require before letting your child attend, remember to talk to them about staying safe. Role play “cool” ways to say no that work in a variety of situations. Sometimes bad things happen to good kids, so please remember to tell your child about the Teen 911 Immunity law that allows them to call for help if someone needs the paramedics. Details are on our website under Protecting Youth.
7. Lock up your medicines, too. I had a friend come over and tell me I have the most boring medicine cabinet he’s ever seen. Apparently “Bob” makes it a habit to visit each friend’s cabinet. That’s wrong for so many reasons, but since he’s not the only one checking, lock up your meds and any other intimate objects you don’t want revealed.
is the executive director of the CV Alliance located at
3131 Foothill Blvd. Suite D
La Crescenta, CA 91214
(818) 646-7867 http://cv-alliance.org/