Greetings from CVDAPC!
Like Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, we have something “for children of all ages,” and we hope to see you there!
1) Community & Family Summit on Thursday, March 14, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at CVHS MacDonald Auditorium — Do you want your child to thrive? The Coalition has been promoting the 40 Developmental Assets® at PTA meetings and at other community events. Assets are positive characteristics shared by millions of successful children. Join us as we welcome nationally known speaker Clay Roberts as he shares humorous and insightful ideas. The First Baptist Church of La Crescenta will provide childcare; please reserve childcare (818) 249-5832 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The talk and childcare are free.
2) Parent resource workshops on Tuesday nights from 7:15 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Y, 1930 Foothill Blvd., La Cañada. Topic on March 5: Brain Development: Addiction & the Brain. Scott Robertson, program director Glendale Adventist Alcohol & Drug Services, will explain how the teenage brain develops and why alcohol and drug use is harmful. Bring your friends! You don’t need a science degree to understand this message!
Topic on March 12: Men’s Night Out. Paul Royer, LSW, leads the discussion on how to communicate with a silent child, how to be strong role model (even if you didn’t have one), and how to address other things on your mind. Don’t worry, you won’t have to beat a drum – unless you want to!
CVDAPC, the Crescenta-Cañada Family YMCA, and Supervisor Mike Antonovich sponsor these free, drop-in sessions. Childcare is available by calling (818) 790-0123.
3) TGIF on March 8 and March 22 from 3:45 p.m. to 5 p.m. at La Crescenta Library’s Community Room, 2809 Foothill Blvd., La Crescenta. Please invite and encourage the young person/people in your life to share ideas for summer activities over snacks. It’s their Valley. All young people welcome!
4) DEA semi-annual prescription drug take back on Saturday April 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Locations TBD. Remember, we have 24/7 take-back at the CV Sheriff’s Station at 4554 Briggs Ave. in La Crescenta.
5) Hometown Country Fair on Saturday, April 6, CV Park, 3901 Dunsmore Ave. (at Honolulu Avenue), La Crescenta. Fun from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Stop by and say hi!
Anyone who has questions can contact me at email@example.com.
Suzy Jacobs is the executive director of the Crescenta Valley Drug & Alcohol Prevention Coalition, a Drug Free Communities Support Program funded by President Obama’s Office of National Drug Control Policy.