Sites for Celebrating La Crescenta 91214

Posted by on Sep 11th, 2014 and filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

1. Flood Memorial at the northeast corner of Rosemont Avenue and Fairway Avenue. This monument commemorates the 32 deaths and estimated 50 houses destroyed (or filled with mud or other debris and thus rendered uninhabitable) and another 50 houses washed away in minutes after midnight on New Year’s Day 1934. A plaque on the site details the event.

2. Pickens Pocket Park at the northeast corner of Briggs Avenue and Foothill Boulevard. Pickens Canyon Park is an 8,000-square-foot pocket park that was conceived as the entry to La Crescenta, with a design concept provided by the community. It was built on unused land adjacent to a Los Angeles County flood control channel, located at the west entrance to La Crescenta on Foothill Boulevard. The park was dedicated by Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich on March 19, 2008. In addition to the amenities of the park, there is a memorial oak tree and plaque honoring local resident Spc Nick Steinbacher, United States Army, who died in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

3. St. Luke’s of the Mountains at 2563 Foothill Blvd. is considered by many to be the architectural gem of the Crescenta Valley. Designed and built in 1924 by the world famous artist Seymour Thomas, its distinctive European appearance has made it an instantly recognizable icon of La Crescenta.

4. The Thompson home at 2427 Los Amigos St. was headed for the wrecking ball in 1972 when homeowner Dianne Thompson rescued it. She was honored in 2007 by the CV Town Council for her dedication in preserving and restoring the 1923 Dutch-Colonial style home and it was featured as part of the Prom Plus Holiday Home Tour.

5. Crescenta Commons on the southwest corner of Rosemont Avenue and Orange Avenue, next to Monte Vista Elementary School, will be open to the public to see the progress and sign the scroll that will be placed in a time capsule and lowered into the now complete monument on the dedication day (date to be announced). Crescenta Commons will be a gathering place for the community that will include benches donated by community members, drought tolerant planting areas and decomposed granite pathways. The monument will also serve as the dial of the human-size accurately placed sundial. Donor tiles will form two colored rings of the sundial as well. Crescenta Commons will have the scroll out for anyone to stop by and sign between 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

6. Two Strike Park & War Memorial at 5107 Rosemont Ave. is a family-friendly park that was founded by Hollywood actor Dennis Morgan. A monument to the foothills’ fallen soldiers was installed over 50 years ago but fell into disrepair. It was refurbished and dedicated just over a year ago and stands as a testament of the gratitude of the citizens La Crescenta.

7. Rosemont Preserve at the top of Rosemont Avenue is overseen by the Arroyos & Foothills Conservancy. The preserve stretches over 7.75 acres of wilderness and was dedicated in June 2012, saving the land from development and turning it into a permanent sanctuary for wildlife. Educational programs for the local community are held on the property and docent-led tours are also regularly offered.

8. Ananda Ashrama at 5301 Pennsylvania Ave. was founded in 1923 by Swami Paramananda. It is a spiritual retreat spread over 120 acres of hillsides, canyons, and meadows that is dedicated to all world religions, where followers of diverse faiths may come together to worship. Situated at the top of Pennsylvania Avenue, the community is invited to visit the grounds that are home to gardens, wildlife and rock lined pathways.

Note that the gates to the ashrama close automatically at 6 p.m.

9. Deukmejian Park & Le Mesnager barn at 3429 Markridge Road are part of 702 acres of mainly rugged terrain that hosts popular hiking trails and spectacular views – in fact, the park has been chosen as the finest sunset view by readers of CV Weekly for the last three years. On the grounds is the Le Mesnager barn, a structure of historical significance as a relatively rare example of a two-story vernacular rock structure. Visitors are encouraged to take a look at the exterior of the barn and the vineyard just below it. A member of the Stonebarn Conservancy will be onsite to offer information from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

10. Clark Magnet High School at 4747 New York Ave. was opened as a junior high school in 1961 but closed in 1982 in response to declining enrollment. It reopened in 1998 as the Anderson W. Clark Magnet High School, specializing in technology and science.

11. Crescenta Valley Park and Dog Park at 3901 Dunsmore Ave. is a lush park that has acres of greenery, shady trees and baseball diamonds. It is the location of the Hometown Country Fair every April and is also home of the first dog park in the county of Los Angeles.

12. Whiting Woods at Honolulu Avenue and Whiting Woods Road is a neighborhood that consists of about 170 homes. It was the location of the Pasadena Mountain Club that in 1915 was purchased by Perry Whiting who continued purchasing land over the years. He eventually owned over 600 acres of the wooded area. Whiting Woods contains an abundance of live oak and sycamore trees (both of which are protected by the City of Glendale) and wildlife. There are hiking trails at the top of Whiting Woods and Mesa Lila roads and there is a seasonal stream that runs through the area.

13. Rockhaven Sanitarium at 2713 Honolulu Ave. was founded in 1923 and was one of many sanitariums in the La Crescenta area. Founder Agnes Richards’ approach to treatment of women’s mental issues was to offer the patients dignified individualized care in a home-like setting. It was also run by women for women for 78 years. The property is now owned by the City of Glendale; future plans for the site have not been decided. A representative of the Friends of Rockhaven will be at the gates of the property between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. to provide the history of Rockhaven and answer questions about the property.

14. American Legion Memorial Hall at 4011 La Crescenta Ave. was originally located at the site of the New Year’s Day flood monument. Some residents sought shelter from flooding at American Legion Post 288, but it was swept away by the floodwaters, killing 12. After the flood the building was patched up and moved to the corner of La Crescenta and Manhattan.

15. La Crescenta Woman’s Clubhouse at 4004 La Crescenta Ave. was built in 1925 to house the La Crescenta Woman’s Club that was formed in 1911. The clubhouse established itself early on as a social center of the valley and continues to be so today. The La Crescenta Woman’s Club holds fundraising events and gives the proceeds to fund donations to disabled youth, college scholarships, and much more. There will be refreshments served at the Clubhouse from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. as part of the Celebrating La Crescenta plans. All are invited to stop by.

Map courtesy of Goolge Maps

Map courtesy of Goolge Maps

Categories: News

Leave a Reply


Photo Gallery
  /  Los Angeles Web Design By Caspian Services, Inc.