By Mary O’KEEFE
A small fire occurred in the gym area at Crescenta Valley High School on Aug 7. Los Angeles County Fire Dept. Station 63 responded and contained the fire within minutes.
“It was accidental,” said Capt. Shawn Grizzard, Station 63.
There was minimal damage to the school. The alarm system was activated and LACoFD arrived immediately; however, this is not always the case, Grizzard said. He reminded residents of the importance of having working smoke alarms in their homes.
“We all think about wild fires in our area, and that is important, but [residential] fires are [something we] need to talk about,” he said.
Most residents change the batteries in smoke alarms twice a year, at the beginning and end of Daylight Savings Time, but Grizzard advised not to wait for “spring forward/fall back” but to regularly check the batteries.
Smoke alarms are essential, Grizzard said. He has seen too many tragedies when residents do not have a smoke alarm, or have alarms that do not work.
He added that fires don’t necessarily wake people up.
And when an alarm is activated, whether at a home or at a business, people need “to get out,” he said.
In addition, he said it is important to have a plan. If there is a fire, family members need to have a plan where they will meet and what to do in case an alarm is activated.
For more information on safety tips, visit www.fire.lacounty.gov.