By Charles COOPER
An attempt by the city to revoke the conditional use permit for Urartu Restaurant at 3463 Foothill Blvd. will be presented next week before a planning hearing officer.
The issue was supposed to
be decided on Wednesday, but was delayed a week at the
request of owner Serob Serobyan. His representative said his attorneys were unable to subpoena police records on the issue.
Lt. Bruce Fox said the department had received the record request Friday of Memorial Day weekend.
City planners said the request for a continuance was also received Friday.
The city is charging the restaurant with operating illegally as a banquet hall, and with violating noise regulations. Serobyan is also accused of presenting live entertainment without a permit, and constructing an unpermitted structure to the rear.
Fox said the police have responded to 32 noise complaints in the last year and a half.
“We have four additional calls concerning noise since our staff report on [March 27]. All those [four] calls came in May,” Fox added.
The calls came in after Wednesday’s meeting had been scheduled.
“And I have just been made aware that the Department of Alcohol and Beverage Control (ABC) arrested/cited the owner (Serobyan) on Feb. 13, 2010 for selling distilled [liquor],” Fox said.
Two local residents, Shelly Ahn and Antonio Rodriguez, testified about noise and traffic issues they blame on the restaurant.
Speaking through an interpreter, Ahn, a resident of the area since 1991, described how the noise from the music and the patrons have kept her awake
“Prior to the new restaurant (Urartu) there was a Shakey’s there. I had no problem with the noise,” she said.
She said she did not call the police often but when she did call she noticed the music would quiet down just before the police arrived.
“It was as if they knew the police were going to show up,” she added.
In addition to the noise complaint, the city has received complaints concerning patrons smoking outside, fights and traffic issues. City planners and neighborhood services
also reported finding a 375 square foot addition was built onto the back of the property that had not permitted by
The city gave the owners a continuance to June 9.