Given the record breaking heat wave affecting Southern California, the City of Glendale Community Services and Parks Department is opening its doors at each of Glendale’s community centers this Wednesday (4/30), Thursday (5/1) and Friday (5/2) to serve as cooling stations for seniors.
The City of Glendale is highly encouraging seniors, who do not have a cool place to be during the hottest time of the day, to come by our facilities to cool off, make new friends, relax, have lunch, and avoid hot temperatures. Both facilities are equipped with board and card games, television, and provide iced water for their visitors.
If you plan to be outdoors, please take precautions to protect yourself from the sun and heat.
- Avoid the sun from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. when the burning rays are strongest.
- Reduce physical activity.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat and light colored lightweight, loose-fitting clothes when you are outdoors.
- Avoid hot, heavy meals that include proteins.
- Set your air conditioner between 75° to 80°. If you don’t have air-conditioning take a cool shower twice a day and visit a public air conditioned facility.
- Drink plenty of fluids even if you are not thirsty. Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Use sun screen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 if you need to be in the sun.
- Stay in shade whenever working outdoors.
- Don’t forget about your pets, they need plenty of water and shade.
Symptoms of dehydration and heat cramps include dizziness, fatigue, faintness, headaches, rapid heartbeat, muscle cramps and increased thirst. Anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek immediate medical attention or call 911.
LOCATIONS & HOURS:
Adult Recreation Center 201 E. Colorado (818) 548-3775 Wednesday and Thursday: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Friday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sparr Heights Community Center 1613 Glencoe Way (818) 548-2187 Wednesday and Thursday: 8:00 am to 6:00 pm Friday: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
Pacific Community Center 501 South Pacific Avenue (818) 548-4098 Wednesday and Thursday: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Maple Park Community Center 820 East Maple Avenue (818) 548-3783 Wednesday and Thursday: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm