They Got Him


Boston Mayor Tom Menino’s Twitter came across about 6 p.m. (EST)

It simply read: “We got him.”

An FBI release confirmed “Dzhokar Tsarnaev, suspect in bombing investigation, is now in custody.”

Suspects Dzhokar, 19, and his brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, were identified by law enforcement as suspects of the Boston Marathon bombing. During a wild 24 hours of violence, Tamerlan was killed and after an intense manhunt Dzhokar has been captured.

Law enforcement including FBI and police had been working diligently since the bombing on Monday during the Boston Marathon. Krystle Campbell, Martin Richard and Lu Lingzi were killed and 180 people were injured due to the explosions at the marathon.

On Thursday, the FBI released a surveillance video showing two men carrying backpacks in the Boston Marathon area prior to the bombing. The public immediately began to respond.

Late Thursday night an MIT campus police officer, Sean Collier, 26, was found shot and killed in his vehicle.

“He was assassinated in his cruiser,” said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis at a press conference Friday night.

Later, an armed carjacking by two males matching the suspects’ description, was reported in an area of Cambridge. A police pursuit into Watertown followed the carjacked vehicle. There were reports of some type of explosive devices thrown from the vehicle.

One of the suspects, later identified as Tamerlan, was critically injured and pronounced dead.

The younger brother had escaped and about 11:20 p.m. (EST) law enforcement told residents in the area, including the MIT campus, that an active shooter was outstanding and that everyone was to stay inside.

The search continued throughout Thursday night and into Friday. Law enforcement determined the MIT campus safe. FBI released clear pictures of the suspects.

The investigation centered in Watertown and a large law enforcement presence appeared in local neighborhoods.

The hunt for Dzhokar continued as Boston and surrounding the suburbs residents were told to stay inside as the manhunt continued.

A call came from a man in Waterford that had been in his home most of the day. He went to his backyard and noticed blood on the cover of his boat.

“A call came into the [police] a man had gone out of his house and saw blood on a boat in the backyard. He looked under the cover of the boat and saw a man with blood. He went in and called police, they responded and exchanged gun fire,” Davis said.

The police responded and FBI hostage negotiators attempted to talk the suspect out of the boat but he was not communicating with them. The suspect was taken into custody at about 8:45 p.m. (EST).

In a press conference held in Watertown on Friday night, all praised the teamwork with all the law enforcement agencies and the public.

“It was a complicated case. A very challenging case,” said Col. Timothy Alben, Boston police.

Now the questions begin on why these two brothers who had reportedly lived in America for about 10 years, would perform this act of terror. That investigation falls to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

“My journey and my office’s journey begins,” said Carmen Ortiz, U.S. Attorney.

Three people were killed and 180 were injured when two bombs exploded during the Boston Marathon.