By Mary O’KEEFE
Glendale firefighters responded to a house fire in the 5200 block of Cheryl Avenue at 8:46 p.m. on Friday night. (Cheryl Avenue is west of Pennsylvania Avenue and south of Orange Avenue)
“When our first units [arrived] they saw smoke coming from the front door and eaves,” said Bat. Chief Vince Rifino.
When firefighters entered the home they found heavy smoke down to the floor. They initiated a search for any family members, however no one was home.
Los Angeles County Fire Department assisted GFD. There was low visibility due to all the smoke. Firefighters ventilated the roof.
The incident is still under investigation but it does appear the initial fire started in the rear of the home.
“It started around the stove in the kitchen,” Rifino said.
The fire damage was mostly contained in the kitchen however there was extensive smoke damage throughout the home. Rifino did not yet have an estimated cost of damage.
The fire was under control by 9:13 p.m.