UPDATE 9:30 a.m.: BEAR

Posted by on Apr 10th, 2012 and filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry


Sleeping bear is prepared for transport into the ANF. Photo by Leonard COUTIN
Putting the sleeping bear in the tube cage for transportation.Residents applauded as the bear was safely placed into the cage.From left, Chanel, 3, and sister Brinae, 5, Yanez were happy the bear was captured and was going to the forest.

Sleepy bear on the move.

Carrying the sleepy bear.
The sleepy bear.
Residents came out to see the bear early this morning.
California Dept. of Fish and Game Lt. Marty Wall prepared to tag the bear, allowing the department to track him once released in the wild. The number, although chosen at random, seemed perfect for the Crescenta Valley bear. He will be tagged with the number 210.
Residents watch and wait for the bear to appear.
Officers stand around the sleeping bear.
The tranquilizer is taking affect as the bear lies down next to a potted tree alongside an apartment complex in the 2400 block of Montrose Avenue.
Lt. Marty Wall of California Dept. of Fish and Game prepared the tranquilizer dart for the bear.
The bear walks in front of a home in the 2300 block of Mayfield Avenue early this morning.
CV Sheriff and Fish and Game officers armed with a tranquilizer gun walk into the backyard of a home in the 2300 block of Mayfield Ave. looking for the bear.

The bear that entered a La Crescenta neighborhood early this morning is finally sleeping and being transported to the Angeles National Forest.

It does appear the bear that was discovered in the 2300 block of Mayfield about 3:30 a.m. this morning is the same bear that has been dinning on garbage in the Glenwood Oaks and Mountain Oaks areas in recent weeks, according to Lt. Marty Wall of the California Department of Fish and Game.

Crescenta Valley Sheriff’s Department and Fish and Game personnel followed the bear from backyard to backyard as he was tranquilized and continued to move. He ended up sleeping next to a potted tree aside an apartment complex in the 2400 block of Montrose Avenue.

Sheriff and Fish and Game officers carried the almost 500 pound bear down the apartment sidewalk and steps and loaded him into a tube shaped cage for his transportation to the forest.

Check out the photo gallery of the bear in the neighborhood.

Categories: News

1 Response for “UPDATE 9:30 a.m.: BEAR”

  1. George Murphy says:

    Great coverage of an unusual (we hope) event. I am a former resident of the valley (I still have children & grandchildren who live there) but now live in Lake Havasu City, AZ. My son (who lives in Whittier) sent me your web address so I could read the “Bear Story”. By the way, he thought the “tag number 210″ was appropriate to the area.

    My daughter (Pat Chambers) directs the Center For Children (CFC) at the La Crescenta Presbyterian Church. She said her students were most excited with all the activity (helicopters, etc.) associated with the bear capture.

Leave a Reply


Photo Gallery
  /  Los Angeles Web Design By Caspian Services, Inc.