Below are the preliminary results of a nonscientific poll that Crescenta Valley Weekly initiated regarding the recently installed diagonal crosswalk at Ocean View and Honolulu in Montrose. The comments are from people who are familiar with Montrose and the new diagonal crosswalk.
CVW continues to accept feedback on this issue. Those interested in commenting can do so by going to the comment section of www.cvweekly.com, by dropping or mailing a note to the office (3800 La Crescenta Ave. #101, La Crescenta 91214), by calling the office [(818) 248-2740], by filling out and turning in the form on page 6, or visiting the newspaper’s Facebook page.
This survey was conducted by CVW when the crosswalk was first implemented. The newspaper asked for the public’s thoughts on the diagonal crosswalk. As of March 4, 88% of people surveyed had a negative viewpoint, 10% had a positive viewpoint, and 2% were neutral.
A random sampling of teenagers shows that out of 44 surveyed, 23 liked it, 21 didn’t like it, 4 thought Montrose needed it, 40 don’t know why we have it, 44 felt it is unnecessary.
Some of the positive comments from teens include
• I like being able to skate in the middle of the street
• It makes us look like a city
• It’s fun; I like walking in the middle of the street
Negative comments included:
• Traffic is really bad.
• Too dangerous; I am worried about crossing the street
• It has affected the bus system and that really affects me
• Crossing two small streets doesn’t make any sense
• Don’t know why we need it. We don’t have enough pedestrians.
• Too much traffic