Students volunteered their time and effort at the American Red Cross shelter at Crescenta Valley High School through out the evacuation of Crescenta Valley.
“I heard there was a shelter here and I wanted to do something proactive,” said Arlene Haghverdian, a Clark Magnet High School student. She along with several others who are part of the Christian Outreach for Armenians Church in Glendale spent several days cleaning tables and doing whatever was needed at the evacuation center.
“It’s a great way to help out the community,” said Tatiana Ratavosian, a CVHS student.
Ratavosian was joined by others from the church, including CVHS student Rosa Castillo, Annabelle Mehrabian from Hoover High School, Salpi Topjian from Glendale High and Daniel Hayrapetian from UC Santa Barbara.
“I was [impressed] with the kindness of the Red Cross workers and all the donations from the community,” Ratavosian said.
Another group of teen volunteers from Crescenta Valley High School arrived early, about 6 a.m., every morning to help serve breakfast for evacuees and stayed through to clean up after dinner.
“I think it is important to help our community. You help others, you never know you might be the one that needs help next time,” said Aimee Yeghiayan, sophomore at CVHS.
“There is a satisfaction at being able to help others and to give back [to the community],” said Brandon Watson, a Glendale Community College student.
When people would enter the shelter he said he understood why they looked worried because he lived in the area.
“The fire has kept us up all night,” he said.
The students had come to the evacuation to help but were not certain what they were facing.
“I thought it would be boring but it wasn’t. It feels good to help,” said Justin Springfield.
Eight-year-old AJ Pabst was at the shelter on Tuesday night with his younger brother Levi, 4, and mom Bethany.
“We are here for the meeting with the fire [personnel],” said Bethany.
Firefighters made scheduled informational meetings with residents at the shelter throughout the evacuations.
AJ was very confident that firefighters would protect his community.
“The fire won’t damage our home. Hopefully the firefighters can get all the flames under control,” he said.