THEN »This beautiful stone house was built on 10 acres up in the sagebrush just off New York above Foothill by the Hope family from England. No one knows when the eight-room mansion was built, but it has several Victorian architectural features, which would put it at 1900 or before. In the ‘30s it was used as a weekend retreat for the Chapman family from Alhambra.
NOW »The house was demolished to make way for Anderson W. Clark Junior High School in 1961. The junior high closed in 1982 in response to declining enrollment, but reopened in 1998 as the Anderson W. Clark Magnet High School, specializing in technology and science.