Beginning Feb. 3 and continuing through April 15, residents can receive free income tax preparation from AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, a tax-exempt charity of AARP. Membership in AARP is not required. Due to the library’s annual book sale, taxes will not be prepared on April 6 and April 8.
Free income tax preparation will be provided on Wednesdays and Fridays at
La Crescenta County Library, 2809 Foothill Blvd. Enter from the upper level parking lot.
The hours are Wednesdays are from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and on Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Taxpayers will be helped on a “first-come-first-served” basis; advanced reservations are not available.
All tax returns, both federal and California, are filed electronically using IRS-provided tax preparation software. Tax returns are prepared by volunteer tax counselors trained and certified by IRS; all returns are subject to a quality review by a second certified counselor. After the tax return is prepared and reviewed, it is e-filed within 24 hours; copies of filed tax returns are provided to the taxpayer.
Taxpayers should bring with them:
• Last year’s tax returns
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse (if filing a joint return), and all eligible dependents
• Picture identification for you and your spouse (if filing a joint return) issued by a government agency
• Income related documents: SSA 1099, 1099R, W2, Unemployment Compensation statements, and other 1099 forms showing interest, dividends, and other income
• If you purchased health insurance (“Obamacare”) in 2015 through Covered CA, you will receive a new tax form – Form 1095-A – which provides information required for your tax return. This form will show your eligibility for coverage as well as help determine your entitlement to a new Premium Tax Credit. It should be mailed to you by Jan. 31.
• You will not receive Form 1095-A if you did not purchase health insurance through Covered CA, or you were enrolled in Medicare, or you were covered by an employer-sponsored health care plan, including retirees.
• You will receive a Form 1095-B if you purchased your health insurance from other than Covered CA.
• You will receive a Form 1095-C if you received health insurance from your employer.
• Expense related documents: forms showing federal and state income taxes paid, 1098 forms, summaries of medical, dental, prescription drug expenses, contributions to charities, vehicle tax statements, property taxes and home mortgage interest, and any business expenses. Receipts for expenses need to be in reasonable order and legible.
• Brokerage statements or other documentation showing the cost basis (purchase price) and date purchased for all securities or property sold or transferred during the tax year
• A blank check with your name printed on it, if you want direct deposit or debit for any refund or balance due
• If you received a pension or annuity from a former employer, please bring the date you began receiving these payments
You can find other AARP Foundation Tax-Aide locations in the area at http://www.aarp.org/applications/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action.