Veterans Corner


Veterans Entitlement



By Andy Gero

Veterans who are seeking benefit from the government must first prove their military service. When applying for benefits you must first present a copy of your DD214/Separation Document.

If this document has been lost or destroyed, you may apply for a replacement by filling out form SF-180. A copy of this form may be obtained by faxing the National Personnel Record Center (NPRC) at (314) 801-9195 or writing to the National Personnel Record Center, Military Personnel Records, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO, or phone (314) 801-0800.

In the event the veteran is deceased, the following family members may order their records:

• Surviving spouse who has not remarried

• Father  • Mother  • Son or daughter

• Sister or brother

Generally there is no charge for basic military personnel and medical record information provided to veterans, next-of-kin and authorized representatives from federal (non-archival) records. If your request involves a service fee, you will be notified as soon as that determination is made. For a procedural outline, visit

If any veteran or family member needs assistance, contact American Legion Post 288, or VFW Post 1614 at or PO Box 223, Montrose, CA 91021.


Andy Gero is a life member of the VFW, Post 1614 and the American Legion Post 288 in La Crescenta.  He may be reached through the CV Weekly, (818) 248-2740, or write Crescenta Valley Weekly at 3800 La Crescenta Ave., Suite 101, La Crescenta, CA 91214.