Selling Your Home During The Holidays
We were hoping to get our home on the market before Labor Day, but it took longer to get it ready than we planned. I am curious if you think it is too close to the holidays to get it on the market; should we wait until next spring? Procrastinator
Inventory is low! Homes are selling in multiple offers and often over asking price. I think you should get your home on the market now and here’s why:
1) Buyers looking at this time of year are highly motivated; there are fewer “lookiloos” to disrupt your family.
2) Less inventory – you are competing with fewer properties. You will have more competition in the spring when most sellers put their home on the market. During the peak spring buying season, scheduling movers is more difficult – during the holidays their prices and schedules are more flexible.
3) Most homes and neighborhoods look especially pretty this time of year.
4) Many buyers are highly motivated to close escrow prior to year end to take advantage of tax benefits.
5) Many people get additional time off during the holidays allowing additional time to focus on buying.
Keep your holiday decorations to a minimum; “less is more”:
* Purchase a smaller tree. The colors on the tree shouldn’t clash with your home’s décor. Simplify by color coordinating the ornaments on the tree or just tying simple monochromatic bows on the branches. Simplifying will give the tree and your home a less cluttered look.
* Don’t crowd too many gifts under the tree; keep the small boxes hidden; I would not suggest leaving a Tiffany’s box under the tree. I also recommend additional safety precautions during open houses.
The holidays are an ideal opportunity for you to showcase some of your home’s features and benefits:
*A large formal dining room might be set for an elegant sit down dinner.
*A beautiful wood burning fireplace could be staged with your children’s stockings waiting for Santa.
*A center island kitchen might be enhanced with a cookbook opened to a Christmas cookie recipe.
*A computer nook could be staged with a few holiday catalogs.