Veterans Corner

Attention Vets!
Benefits You May Not
Know About
Resubmitted by request.

Actually, all veterans, regardless of age, can receive assistance from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (USDVA) but a little known benefit is available for older veterans. This benefit is called Improved Pension with aid and attendance. This benefit helps pay for assistance living, nursing home care and home care for veterans 65 years and older or their surviving spouse. This could mean the ability to stay in their home longer with the aid of a home care provider, or the ability to move to an assisted living facility sooner when this type of care is needed. This aid and attendance benefit is a reimbursement – the claimant must spend the money on care in order to receive the benefit, thus the veteran’s surviving spouse can have some financial means and still apply for this benefit. The veteran must have served at least one day during war and 90 days after and not required to have a combat related injury or disability.

In 1979, U.S. Congress passed an improved pension program that made this benefit available to veterans or their surviving spouse. There is a considerable amount of paperwork necessary to apply, but well worth the effort. They must be medically qualified, income qualified, asset qualified and must have an honorable or regular discharge from the service.

For questions, contact the War Era Veterans at or call (800) 901-0940 (War Era Veterans is not part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs).

Andy Gero is a life member of the VFW Post 1614 and American Legion Post 288 in La Crescenta. He can be reached at the Veterans Corner by mail at 4011 La Crescenta Ave., La Crescenta, CA 91214, by email crescenta.vets@ or phone (818) 541-1336.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.