Veterans Corner

Posted by on May 31st, 2012 and filed under Between Friends. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Submitted by Andy GERO

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) is providing a benefit called Improved Pension to help pay for assisted living, nursing home care for veterans 65 years of age and older or their surviving spouse. This means that veterans and spouse may receive home care longer or have the ability to move to an assisted living facility sooner should this care be necessary.

Reimbursement for an attendant is available; the claimant must spend their money to qualify for financial assistance. The veteran must have served at least one day during a war and 90 days after and is not required to have a combat related injury or disability.

Many veterans are not aware that U.S. Congress in 1979 passed and approved this program that qualified veterans or their surviving spouse. Those in assistant living, receiving care at home or in a nursing home can benefit tremendously from this program.

There is considerable paperwork necessary to apply but it is well worth the effort. Three criteria must be met to qualify: they must medically qualify, income qualify and have an honorable or regular discharge from the service.

For questions, contact War Era Veterans at or call 1-800-901-0940 (War Era Veterans is not part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs but a separate Veterans Advocacy Company).

Andy Gero is a life member of the VFW Post 1614 and the American Legion Post 288 in La Crescenta. He can be reached at the Veterans Corner by mail at 4011 La Crescenta Ave., La Crescenta, CA 91214, by email or phone  (818) 541-1336.

Categories: Between Friends

Leave a Reply


Photo Gallery
  /  Los Angeles Web Design By Caspian Services, Inc.