Veterans Corner

Posted by on Apr 24th, 2014 and filed under Between Friends. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Education Benefits

Veterans or family members who are using the GI Bill or DoD Military Tuition Assistance Program sometimes run into difficulties with their benefits.

The Dept. of Veterans Affairs now has a complaint system online, in partnership with the Dept. of Defense, Education and Justice, the Federal Trade Commission and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

The reporting system will help you in three ways: Veterans can report negative experiences with the school; the government can identify unfair or misleading practices; quality academic support will be available.

The range of complaints may include credit transfers, change in degree requirements or unfair recruiting practices, all covered by the Principles of Excellence that schools must follow to receive government money for veterans programs.

Once a complaint is received, the agencies will contact the school to resolve the problem. Go to and click on GI Bill Feedback System. For DoD, go to and put “school complaints” in the search box; you’ll reach the Postsecondary Education Complaint System.

Submitted by Andy Gero, a life member of the VFW Post 1614 and the American Legion, Post 288 in La Crescenta. He may be reached through the CV Weekly, (818) 248-2740, or write Crescenta Valley at 3800 La Crescenta Ave., Suite 101, La Crescenta, CA 91214.

Categories: Between Friends

Leave a Reply


Photo Gallery
  /  Los Angeles Web Design By Caspian Services, Inc.