Beginning Feb. 5, residents can receive free income tax preparation under the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program provided through AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, a tax-exempt charity of AARP. Membership in AARP is not required.
Free income tax preparation can be obtained on Wednesdays and Fridays at La Crescenta County Library, 2809 Foothill Blvd. (corner of La Crescenta Avenue) from Wednesday, Feb. 5 through Wednesday, April 9. Services will not be offered on Friday, April 11. Enter from the upper level parking lot.
The hours are: Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Taxpayers will be helped on a “first-come-first-served” basis; no advanced reservations are available.
Taxpayers should bring with them:
• Last year’s tax returns
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse (if filing a joint return), and all eligible dependents
• Picture identification for you and your spouse (if filing a joint return) issued by a government agency
• Income related documents: SSA 1099, 1099R, W2s, Unemployment Compensation statements, and other 1099 forms showing interest, dividends, and other income
• Expense related documents: forms showing federal and state income taxes paid, 1098 forms, summaries for medical, dental, prescription drugs, charity, or business expenses, property and vehicle tax statements, property taxes and home mortgage interest paid. Receipts for expenses need to be in reasonable order and legible
• Brokerage statements or other documentation showing the cost basis (purchase price) and date purchased for all securities or property sold or transferred during the tax year
• A check with your name on it, if you want direct deposit or debit for any refund or balance due
• If you receive a pension or annuity from a former employer, please bring the date you began receiving these payments
Other AARP Foundation Tax-Aide locations can be found at http://www.aarp.org/applications/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action.